It is that time of your nursing program to complete the most dreaded nursing capstone project. Are turning lots of nursing capstone project ideas over in your head but you’re yet to pick any of them? This is because some of nursing capstone project ideas tend to be too wide while others are too narrow to be researchable. For some, it is even possible that no nursing capstone ideas are churning in their head at the moment. This is terrible, right? But if you are looking around in search of bits of inspiration on what topic to choose for your nursing capstone project, you are fortunate. In this post, we’ll suggest several nursing capstone project ideas to jumpstart your thinking.
On this page:
What is Nursing Capstone Project?
A nursing capstone project is an essential nursing project that is written to show all the skills and knowledge of a nursing student from a theoretical and practical experience that you have accrued through the years in nursing school. It is often assigned to students during the final year of study hence it is a long-term project of a research type and the presentation is its result.
Because nursing capstone project is assigned during the final year of study, it might come along with a dramatic role for its readers; hence you must be cautious when picking a topic. Besides, improving your nursing professional skills and knowledge, you may also affect one’s opinion concerning the topic or course at large. So, you can see how important it is to spend ample time choosing your nursing capstone project ideas that apply to your previous experience and future career in nursing.
Writing nursing capstone project is the final stage of training and allows gauging of the student’s theoretical competence and level of understanding of their future nursing career. Moreover, the topics of papers in various medical colleges and universities are hand-picked according to the degree of relevance and are highly related to the future intended place of work of the graduate nursing student.
Most nursing students have challenges with the design of nursing capstone project and this is perhaps occasioned by the fact that they haven’t engaged in it before. The question they are left pondering about once they have been assigned nursing capstone project is “how does nursing capstone project look like?”
Structure of Nursing Capstone Project
A nursing capstone project follows the same basic structure even though there may be slight variations from program to program. Here is a nursing capstone project structure that is mostly followed:
- Title page
- Signature page
- Executive summary: This section contains a brief overview of the capstone project that a reader usually goes through before they continue reading.
- Table of contents
- Statement of problem: The part entails the issue being researched and is stated along with brief background information and the significance of resolving the issue.
- Project description: This section outlines the design of the research project, its purpose and the intended goals are discussed. A literature review is also included in this section to offer support for the position being taken.
- Evaluation plan: This section describes the evidence-based measures used for each objective, instruments utilized and the methodology of analysis.
- Results: The outcome of the research goes into this section. Moreover, it includes the discussion concerning whether the objectives have been achieved or not, unexpected outcomes and their primary barriers or facilitators.
- Conclusion: The conclusion section is the most important of the nursing capstone project as it discloses the knowledge you have acquired when conducting research and writing the project. It also shows problem-solving outcomes of your capstone project.
- Recommendations based on results: discussion of whether the project should be continued or stopped is done here but based on the results gotten from the research.
Even though this basic structure seems relatively simple, each section may contain several other subchapters and you can be surprised that nursing capstone projects may extend to up to a hundred pages.
Seeking Nursing Capstone Project Ideas?
Different kinds of research are done around the nursing field every day. Most of these researches mainly focus on generating new knowledge for their field. Nonetheless, some of these researches also aim at providing practical solutions to an existing problem instead of generating new information. A nursing capstone project is an example of such researches.
When a student is writing a nursing capstone project, the primary goal should be to either change or implement a process, procedure or policy. Undoubtedly, practice-based nursing continues to gain momentum across the world and it is only prudent that your nursing capstone project should reflect that. Your acquaintance with practice-based nursing should be your key a ton of excellent nursing capstone project ideas.
Where Can I Get Suitable Nursing Capstone Project Ideas?
You can get excellent nursing capstone project ideas from different places. Let’s see some of the great sources that can give suitable ideas for nursing capstone projects.
- Past papers and Class notes
Reviewing the class notes you have written throughout your years in school gets your brain spewing out great capstone project ideas. Start with your current semester class notes. Besides, you can dig up a few nursing past papers, essays, case studies, and term papers. Carefully peruse through them and at the end of it, you can be sure to have with you a couple of great nursing capstone project ideas.
- Past nursing capstone papers
Past nursing capstone projects that are written by other students may serve as s great source of capstone ideas. Don’t forget to scan through them and see whether you can get a good idea from therein.
- Your Clinicals
Clinicals are other awesome places that you can derive great nursing capstone ideas from. You have worked under the supervision of a real nurse and you have learned a lot. Your first-hand knowledge and experience on how nurses provide care and the extent to which the facility apply evidence-based nursing provide good ideas for your capstone project.
- Recently published nursing journal articles
If you are an avid reader of nursing or medicine-focused journals, it means you have taken in tons of research and review articles. Reading recently published articles means you are up to speed with what is trending in the nursing world. As such, you are at a better position to land on a viable nursing capstone project idea soon.
These aren’t the only sources for excellent nursing capstone project ideas you can find around. What other places do you think you can find capstone ideas from? Don’t hesitate to give a trial.
Tips for Choosing the Best Ideas for Nursing Capstone Project
More often, students are overwhelmed by the idea of writing a nursing capstone project. It feels like it needs lots of work at first but once you get started, things become a bit easier and the pressure goes down. The difficult part of the capstone project is at choosing a viable topic from the limited options available. To lessen the hassle of choosing the right topic for your nursing capstone project, read the following tips.
- A problem to solve
One of the best ways to choose your nursing capstone project topic is by identifying a problem to solve within the nursing field. You can then research how to solve this problem. Most importantly pick something you can write a whole project about. It is a lot easier when you already have some knowledge of the issues. Start by listing some possible solutions to the problem before research all one by one.
- Specific topic
You can start by writing down a general and broad idea you wish to cover and then go a bit deeper by narrowing down. The reason to narrow down is to come up with a specific topic and not end up with a topic that is so broad. Once you pick specific topic research while looking for subtopics within the topic.
- Strengths and Weaknesses
Picking the right nursing capstone idea can be challenging. Are you trying to choose which topic is best to write about among the many that you have before you? Don’t worry! Just write down the strengths and weaknesses of each topic to get a clear idea of which topic can be most interesting and more relevant to right.
- Career goals
Certainly, you know your career would be in nursing, but you can go beyond that. Ask yourself which area you would like to specialize in? Once you answer this question you have your nursing capstone topic with you. Focus on the area you intend to specialize and you can get an idea on what to write in your capstone project.
- Different Sources
You can go online and search for nursing capstone project ideas. You can also get great ideas from the library, academic literature or even past nursing research examples. You won’t copy these ideas but they can surely lead you.
Bear in mind that the primary focus for a nursing capstone project is to solve a problem. And this can be done on different issues presently experienced in the nursing field. In case your proposal is rejected, move on to save time and get the topic that best suits your expertise.
Nursing Capstone Project Ideas You Can Borrow for Your Project
Nursing students engage more in practical activities but in their final year of study, they are required to write a capstone project as a culmination of their nursing course. The nursing capstone project topic they choose must be relevant and meets modern scientific development standards. Moreover, the capstone project ought to reflect the actual health issues that are practice-oriented and in line with the content of either one or more professional modules. Here is a list of ideas for a nursing capstone project you can consider for your upcoming nursing capstone project.
Emergency nursing capstone project topics
Under emergency nursing, the following project ideas are viable;
- How can the Mobile Application Improve ER?
- Shall the Calls to the Emergency Be Simplified/
- Is Tracking Patients in the Emergency with the Help of an App Good for their Friends and Family?
- What Items Should be Replaced in the ER?
- How Many People Are in Emergency Cars around the World?
- How the Colors Affect the ER Patient?
- Should Every Nurse Have an Access to the ER?
Nursing Informatics Capstone Project Ideas
Use of computers has gone beyond games, and using some computer informatics concepts in your nursing capstone project will look quite innovative.
- Big Data and Ethics – Can they Co-exist?
- Biometrics and the Dangerous Forecasts
- Automatized Decision Modelling Processes
- Can Informatics Be Applied in the Rural Areas?
- Storage Systems for Seniors
- Which Degree Should Come First – CS or Nursing
- Means of Data Protection
- Assisting the Recovering Centers
- How Should Government Affect the Automatizing Processes?
Capstone Project Ideas on Nursing Burnout
If you are interested in human resource management but working on a nursing capstone project, you can try to amalgamate the elements of both into your nursing capstone with the emphasis on management tools you have learned.
- The Effect of Modern Management Techniques on Nurse Burnout
- Nurse Burnout and Patient Satisfaction
- Nurse Burnout and Patient Safety
- Comparing Nurse Burnout in Cities and Towns
- The Impact of Group Therapy on Nurse Burnout
- Preventing Burse Burnout on the Early Stages
- The Difference between Western and Eastern Approaches to Nurse Burnout
- What’s behind the Nurse Burnout and how can Medical Universities Prepare their Students?
Other nursing capstone project topic ideas include:
- Transitioning from student to RN: bridging the gap with simulations
- Dimensional analysis: An easy method for dosage calculations
- Management and prevention of diabetes
- Lyme disease prevention
- Dementia patient management using non-pharmacological methods
- Public health advocacy to improve rural access to care for pregnant women
- HPV vaccination and awareness for patients
- Nursing staff professional development and training
- Reviewing of nursing roles
- Coping with patients with ADHD
- Breastfeeding support to improve infant health
- Behavioural health interventions to reduce incidents of sexually transmitted diseases
- Patient-centred medical facility strategic planning
- Emergency planning systems
- Prevention of dementia patient dysfunctional behaviour
- Diarrhoea prevention with probiotics after the use of antibiotics
Some of the Latest Nursing Capstone Project Ideas
- A Study of the Nursing Shortage as a Major Public Health Challenge
This research topic aims to investigate the primary causes of the shortage of nurses and propose measures that can be implemented to solve the issue.
- Assessment of Pain Through Non-Verbal Indicators: Nursing Patients with Severe Communication Challenges
This topic seeks to review the pain assessment methods nurses can adopt when providing care for patients with serious developmental or intellectual disabilities. As such, it will aim to uncover the most effective ways of nursing patients who are unable to explain their pain and suffering due to communication disabilities.
- An Observational Study of Co-operative Working Strategies between Registered Nurses and Care Assistants
This research topic intends to give an account of some of the strategies that registered nurses with strict obligations and care assistants who are not regulated employ to ensure peaceful co-existence and good working relations. As such, it will assess differences between registered nurses and care, assistants, at the workplace.
- Examining the roles of Nurses and Nursing Models Considering Changing Healthcare and Nursing Needs
This nursing capstone project topic will endeavour to review the role nursing models play in preparing nurses to adapt to the changing needs of caregiving.
- A study on the Role of Community Nursing in Improving the Quality of Life of the Elderly
This capstone topic seeks to uncover the significance of community nursing in making sure the elderly are given much-needed care.
- A Reflective Study for Handling a Cardiovascular Patient with Numerous Complications
This nursing capstone topic aims at revealing whether there are more useful methods of handling a cardiovascular patient that has numerous complications. It will also discuss ways through which nurses can provide quality care to patients ailing from cardiovascular disease.
Writing a nursing capstone project will always come with its share of challenges. Besides, the nursing course itself can be difficult that it is strongly advisable for you to hire an expert to help with choosing your capstone topic and writing the entire capstone project. No matter how good you are in nursing, sometimes you may simply not have the time to choose a topic and write the project. This happens to everyone. Besides, you might be busy preparing capstone project ideas for other nursing papers. When in such moments, you need someone reliable to lean on. That is why we are here! We are always ready to assist our clients in many different situations like choosing a capstone topic and writing it down at any time of the day.
Do shy from asking help from our expert writers who have vast experience and years of choosing nursing capstone topic for nursing students. By entrusting us this task, you are sure to get the project that will guarantee you satisfying results. We don’t offer advice to students struggling to come up with a viable nursing capstone project idea instead, we choose a perfect topic that will elevate not only your writing skills but also your practice.